Labia Reduction Surgery
What is labia reduction surgery?
Labia reduction surgery, labiaplasty and vulvaplasty are terms used to describe a relatively minor surgical procedure that involves removing excess tissue to decrease the size and change the shape of longer and/or larger labia minora (inside genital lips). This does not interfere with sexual satisfaction, orgasm or the feel of the labial skin.
At Meridia Gynecology we perform safe procedures that decrease the size of enlarged labia minora. There are various surgical techniques for this problem and the correct choice depends on the unique characteristics of your anatomy. We understand the sensitivity a woman can feel in this situation and we will treat you with compassion and the utmost of discretion.
Why do some women request surgery to make their labia smaller?
Some women have larger labia minora (inside genital lips), also called Labia Hypertrophy.
- Many woman find the larger, protuberant, asymmetric, or irregular appearance cosmetically undesirable;
- Most women would prefer it if their inner labia did not protrude beyond the level of the outside labia;
- Some women feel discomfort when walking, cycling, exercising, or wearing certain types of underwear (like thongs) or tight pants;
- Some women feel embarrassed to shower at a gym for example, where others can see their protruding labia;
- There can be personal hygiene problems;
- Some women are troubled by having large labia and indicate that it causes them pain and discomfort during intercourse, or severe embarrassment.
- For some, this loss of sexual confidence and/or a lack of sexual enjoyment can lead to avoidance of intimate relationships.
Is surgery necessary?
There is evolving interest in maintaining and improving genital health both physically and emotionally. All women have a natural and unique body shape; similarly, there is variation in the size of the inner labia. However, if your inner labia are too long or unusual in appearance, it is unnecessary to live with this and feel embarrassed or unhappy with the way you look and feel. There is a solution involving relatively minor surgery that is done at our clinic.
“Concerns about the appearance of labia minora extending beyond the labia majora can often be alleviated by explaining that variation in size is normal. Still, labial reduction should be considered for cases in which such aesthetic concerns influence the psychological and social well-being of the patient.” (Functional and Aesthetic Labia Minora Reduction Sylvester M. Maas, M.D., and J. Joris Hage, M.D., Ph.D.)
Surgery at Meridia Gynecology
We want you to feel at ease talking about this sensitive problem. We strive to offer you an environment that is supportive, dignified and encouraging. Meridia Medical distinguishes itself through a combination of experience and highly specialized service with state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. We only have qualified surgeons operating at Meridia Gynecology.
We offer surgery that is safe and ethical. A simple reduction of enlarged labia for women who require it, is sensible and reasonable. We do not offer other operations to the genital area that are not proven to be effective or those that are disrespectful to women.
The Last Word
This can be a very sensitive and personal issue, and as such, we want you to consider your options carefully before you decide to proceed. In our experience, women are happy and relieved after having the procedure and exude a newfound confidence.
The new appearance and sensation of the inner labia can change the way you feel about your genital area and help you reconnect sexually.